The purpose of the Council is to create and facilitate a network of expertise, consisting of clinicians and those who have experience in taking a leading role in delivering eHealth, to drive eHealth projects in Ireland.
The Council will influence a cultural development within the Irish health service where information and its underlying data are treated as an important and valuable organisational asset that will drive patient centred healthcare. The Council will become a core value-adding knowledge reservoir that will inform and guide the implementation and success of the HSE Knowledge and Information Plan.
THE COUNCIL AIMS TO:
- Contribute to the development of business cases for priority eHealth projects and programmes to ensure that the implementation of technology meets the needs of patients and clinicians to deliver a high quality, effective and integrated health care service.
- Guide the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure eHealth solutions are designed, developed, and implemented so that quality, safety and value are continuously improved;
- Network with international colleagues to learn from success and failure in the wider global eHealth arena.
Since its initiation, the Council has grown from strength to strength and has participated in events across the globe. The success of the council has received international recognition and commendations on the inclusive work by the members.
The Council is led by the Chief Clinical Information Officer (CCIO) of the HSE. The CCIO Management Team has been put it place to grow and sustain the Council as a rich network of expertise. Their aims are to:
- Develop and manage the network and community of the Council
- Promote the eHealth agenda in communication with other clinicians
- Promote development of the role of Clinical Information Officer
- Represent the CCIO and Council in liaison with other groups in the HSE
- Develop and strengthen links with key external stakeholders
- Embrace a culture of innovation, and enhance patient focus.
- Provide an environment for stakeholders to collaborate in a way that helps build understanding and insight, and explores challenges and new opportunities regarding eHealth mediated services;
- Promote development and implementation of education and training for health service personnel to ensure safe transition to, adoption and use of eHealth technologies;